Tony is an experienced civil and commercial litigator. He holds an LLB(Hons) and a BA in Political Studies from the University of Otago and was admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in 1992. Since then he has worked in both New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and most recently for 10 years as a partner at a well-known Wellington firm. Tony joined the Independent Bar in 2018 and has been approved by the Law Society to receive direct instructions.
Tony deals with a broad range of civil, commercial and regulatory litigation, dispute resolution (particularly mediation) and advisory work in specialist areas. He has appeared as counsel in a variety of first instance Courts and Tribunals, and on appeals, and has instructed senior counsel in various Courts, including the Privy Council.
Areas of specialisation
• Civil, commercial and regulatory litigation, and dispute resolution
• Energy - gas/electricity, particularly downstream/retail
• Insurance - coverage & claims
• Intellectual Property & Information law
• Media - defamation, confidentiality/privacy and suppression
• Motor trade - general and specialist issues
• Property & Lease issues - disputes/earthquake issues
• Sports law - rules & disciplinary
• Trade practice - consumer, franchising, restraints & competition